Blog

Blog

Top Fractivist Myths of 2016

By Karen Crummy


pc_weeklytopmyths_1200x1200The holidays are quickly approaching. While this time of year brings delicious meals and gifts, it also means more family time.

If you’re like us, you may not always share the same views as your family members, which can make these family gatherings tricky.

But don’t panic. Protect Colorado is here to help you talk some sense into those fractivist family members.

Check out fractivists’ top 3 myths from this year and our tips on how to debunk them:

Myth #1: Fracking contaminates water.

More than seven studies across the U.S., including Yale University, have confirmed that fracking does not contaminate groundwater. If your fractivist cousin is still unfazed and pulls up the flaming faucet video, remind him or her that methane is naturally found in water—unrelated to fracking.

Myth #2: Fracking harms our planet.

Fracking unlocks natural gas, which helps curb carbon pollution. Thanks to fracking, Colorado is already 75% of the way toward meeting President Obama’s 2030 Clean Power Plan deadline.

Myth #3: Fracking uses hazardous chemicals.

Fracking fluid is 99.5% water and sand. The other 0.5% consists of safe chemical additives found in household products like toothpaste and makeup remover.

With all of the misinformation out there, it’s more important than ever to make sure you’re armed with the fracking facts ahead of any family get-togethers. Share these tips with your friends.

FURTHER READING

3 Things to Know About the EPA Report

Last week, the EPA released its final report on the effects of fracking on groundwater. While some publications called the findings a “reversal” or “U-turn,”... Read More

Local Fracking Bans Threaten Colorado

Despite the failure of the anti-fracking ballot measures and the passing of Amendment 71, fractivists are still carrying out their fight to ban fracking through... Read More

Fracking Supports Colorado Businesses

For many Coloradans, the end of Thanksgiving marks the beginning of holiday shopping. That’s good news for Colorado businesses as spending is expected to increase... Read More